Monday, February 1, 2010

Complete Contentment.

There are fluffy little flakes of snow falling slowly but steadily. Already the entire street has been transformed from dull, brown gray frozen snow and ice into a soft blanket of crystal white power. Even though the sun isn't shining, there is still something captivating in the way the snow makes everything seem cleaner and happier. Wrapped up in a fuzzy white blanket that still smells like my best friend's cologne, drinking green jasmine tea and having the entire house completely still, completely to myself is heavenly. Listening to the slush of the cars that pass, and seeing the twirling flakes flying outside the window and reminiscing about old times, there's this warm contentment in the air. It has been a hectic few weeks with finals, job admissions, road trips, chior practices and wedding planning but now life has slowed down for a few hours. I can sit here quietly by myself for a few more minutes before I go to clean and cook and finish homework. Then the family comes back and I have to leave to work. But right now, the world is mine.

My heart yearns to see my best friend even though its only been a week since he left. Distance makes the heart grow fonder and with every day, that quote becomes more and more true for me. I know he'll come again soon but it doesn't help me stop missing him. He is an amazing guy and I'm so very lucky that God brought us together. Meanwhile, we both have to focus on work and school and our church lives until the next time we can be together. Thats fine with me because I know this is the way God wants it. School and work take up so much of my time that its becoming harder to find time for church and my family, but I know it'll all work out. "Rejoice in the Lord always and again I say, Rejoice." Philippians 4:4. No matter how tired I get, no matter how dreary the weather and how stressful school is, I will always be happy. It's not easy but its what the Bible tell us to do and it really works, it does change things. As for contentment: "Contentment with godliness is great gain." 1 Timothy 6:6. Happiness and contentment are covered in the Bible, and those are two things which I wish I had more of.

I'm very content at the moment, and filled with this peaceful happiness, but I need to remember these verses for when the times are harder and it seems impossible to smile, much less be content. I have the most amazing family in the world, the most amazing friends, the best sweetheart and a job, school, house, church, food! How can I not be content? Even if these days seem tough, I know people are struggling with worse times. Even if everything is going wrong, I know it'll get better! The sun will come out again, and the snow will melt! But for now, I can't be more happy with how much I have. Right now, everything is in its place and its only because of my indescribable, uncontainable Savior. My hot tea, the swirling white snowflakes, the soft white blanket and the complete and peaceful silence all add up to complete contentment!

No comments:

Post a Comment

"That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world." -Philipians 2:15